Russia

Avito to start charging for job ads

Starting from the 18th of August, Russia’s general classifieds leader Avito is charging a fee for new listings in the job section of the site. According to Vladimir Korizky, head of Avito Jobs, the new system is expected to improve both the quality of the job listings and the response of job seekers, who are likely to trust these vacancy posts to a greater degree. The new system had...

Read More

Ad tech specialist Dmitry Shkolnikov joins Avito from Mail.Ru

Russia’s general classifieds major Avito has hired Dmitry Shkolnikov to drive the company’s advertising reach. The advertising technologies specialist is expected to strengthen Avito’s recent move into contextual ads. Shkolnikov was a project manager at Russian Internet giant Mail.Ru Group previously, where he helped integrate operations with partners, worked on boosting web...

Read More

Hearst Shkulev Media restructures ownership

One of Russia’s largest publishing companies Hearst Shkulev Media (HSM) reshaped its ownership structure to comply with an upcoming law limiting foreign ownership of companies in the mass media sector (we reported here). Businessman Viktor Shkulev will now legally own 80 percent of the holding company, while his U.S. partners Hearst have the remaining 20 percent. This is in line with the...

Read More

Russia’s 20-% foreign ownership law to take effect Jan. 2016

Foreign ownership in the Russian mass media sector will be limited to only 20 percent starting from January 1, 2016. The legislation follows a state ruling in mid-2014, and is expected to have a major impact on the classifieds market. The Russian government, led by President Vladimir Putin, is increasingly viewing mass media as a strategic resource. Following the Ukraine crisis, and economic...

Read More

Users may now endorse skills on HeadHunter

HeadHunter.ru, Russia’s leading online recruitment classifieds platform, launched a skill-endorsement function usually associated with professional social networks such as LinkedIn. Registered HeadHunter users are now able to endorse specific skills of people in their networks, whether they are former employers or colleagues. The platform hopes this move will enhance the profiles of resumes...

Read More

Avito shuts down dating section

Avito.ru, Russia’s largest general classifieds site, removed the dating button under its “Hobbies and Leisure” category, to avoid the potential risks associated with online prostitution rings in Russia. In the past few months, Russia has witnessed a government crackdown on online prostitution rackets, with several sites and publications associated with illegal escort services taken...

Read More