Luxembourg-based auto marketplace MyCar.lu has launched an AI-based picture search feature on its app that lets users find the make and model of any car they encounter from a photograph.

Drawing on computer vision technology, the AI-based system — which the company has characterized as “Shazam for cars” — will come up with a list of similar vehicles available on MyCar.lu within seconds, making the process more “accessible, engaging, and efficient,” as users will no longer have to input details of make and model manually.

“We understand that the car buying process can be challenging, and we’re always looking for ways to make it easier,” said Axel Ophoff, project director of MyCar.lu.

“With this AI-powered tool, we’re simplifying the search process and delivering a new level of convenience. Now, you don’t need to be a car expert to find the car of your dreams; simply snap a photo, and our app will do the rest.”

Co-managing director Robert Hever added that the company was “dedicated to tailored solutions and support for both our private and b-to-b clients, making their journey seamless and efficient.”

Fellow co-MD Emmanuel Fleig said, “Despite substantial investments in tech and innovation, like the apps and ‘picture search,’ we’ve maintained stable b-to-b pricing for three years, offering top-notch service and leads at a fair cost.”

MyCar.lu is a joint venture between Belgium/Netherlands-based MediaHuis and Switzerland-based TX Group. Users can sell both new and used cars on the site.

Founded in 2014, MediaHuis is a joint venture between two Flemish media companies: Corelio and Concentra. Corelio took 62% of the equity and Concentra the remaining 38%. Apart from owning newspapers, magazines, websites and radio and TV channels in Belgium, the Netherlands and Ireland, MediaHuis also owns or part owns a number of marketplaces, including Immoproxio.be, Zimmo.be, Jellow.be and Zabun.be.

MediaHuis has joined its local rival DPG Media in joint ventures in recent years to compete with international giants such as AutoScout24 and Indeed in the automotive and recruitment marketplace categories. In the Netherlands the two media groups compete with the merged Adevinta and EBay, which owns Marktplaats, the most popular general marketplace in the country.

The TX Group, headquartered in Zurich, is a network of platforms and the second largest media company in Switzerland, owner of newspapers Tamedia and 20 Minuten. It is the anchor shareholder of SMG Swiss Marketplace Group, a joint venture between Scout24 Switzerland and TX Markets that consists of a network of online marketplaces, and JobCloud.

Related Articles